Friday, September 18, 2009

How many days until October 13th?

I am overcome. I'm tense and anxious. I am short of breath. My palms sweat. My throat is dry. I ache. I long. I am over dramatic.  I am currently in, what i like to call(as of now) The Dark Hours. Hmm, no good? How about the destitute days? Wanting weeks? Wanting weeks! I like it. Thank you, Thesaurus.com.
Ok, so I am currently in, what I officially like to call The Wanting Weeks. This is the period of time between the last new game I played heavily and the next big release. It is during this period that I begin to tire of the game I'm playing, and I begin to long hungrily, like a wolf, for the next item on my game radar, or gaydar. Wait. Scratch that. So, the last game I played was Batman: Arkham Asylum. And technically, I'm still playing it. But not nearly as much as I originally did.  Mainly because that's just what happens. I've been through the story multiple times. Soaking up its nuanced action adventure goodness,  solving the slight predicaments passed off as puzzles by the Riddler, and  punishing, but ultimately rewarding myself with those calamitous challenge rooms. The game has nothing new to show me. So what now? I don't buy many games. I lack the funds to purchase every game that comes out. So I am caught in limbo(fuck! limbo! that's also good) waiting for the next game that has been deemed worthy of my money. And that game? Uncharted 2. I'm at the point now when the anticipation is too much to bear. Thoughts of this game consume me, zipping through my neural pathways, ricocheting to my limbs, causing involuntary twitches. I NEED this game.This obsession is compounded by the fact that I've self sanctioned my eyes from viewing too much information about it. I have avoided the beta, despite having a code. I've not read a review, despite posting the Official Playstation Magazine's review on this site. I like to be born into a game such as this. To enter the world with unknowing eyes. It facilitates absorption into the story, affording me only the knowledge of the protagonist at the outset, allowing me to, in effect, become Nathan Drake. Whoa! How insane did that sound? Well, what can I say I'm crazy about games. And puns! 
Too many days in between this one and October 13th. How will I cope?I'll find a way. And then it will release, and I will play it. And it will be a revelation. And I'll play it again, and again. I'll find every secret, I'll unlock every trophy, and I'll conquer every difficulty level. And then...what? It is inevitable that Uncharted 2 will suffer the same fate with me as all my other games, no matter how great they were, no matter how great it will be. And it is inevitable that I will find myself in the same desperate state I am in now. Then again, there's always the multiplayer, and Ratchet&Clank, and Assassins Creed 2, and Dragon Age: Origins...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trophy card

xxbig_bossxx